Friday, August 21, 2020

Here Is A Question Someone Asked Me

They said, Jason...if you're family drove the train in the museum and ran some kind of orphanage adopting kids how come nobody ever heard of that?

That's because it was like 80 years ago, but I know what they mean....they adopted kids and stuff during and after the great depression in Nova Scotia, the rule was they didn't tell them anything and they got whatever they got.

Harsh times, me I was in the gifted program as a kid and after all that was closed we moved to a new neighborhood and my grandparents had money to look after me and had to make sure I was provided for and stuff for the gifted program and they got money to look after me and make sure I had everything.

That's why I had more than those other people, because we needed extra stuff for field trips and stuff for the gifted kids. Then I was in Heavy Metal.

That's what I mean, I would have never have known any of those bums when I was younger.

 -Update-

Here is the link to the wikipedia page for the Sampson Train, the Oldest Locomotive in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson_(locomotive)

When I read the page I don't trust all the dates and information and I don't know who is in the picture of the train in 1880.

The Railline was at the East River in New Glasgow and my family's home was next to the coal depository and today is called Rotary Park, the old train tracks today are called the Sampson Trail.

In old photos there are pictures of the old houses they used to have at the Orphanage that my family ran, back then they said the houses were heated by coal from the depository from the local mine.

The house fell apart and was demolished in the 1980's, my family moved around 1982 when I was seven after all that closed in the 1970's after everyone died of old age and it was just my grandmother's family there at the time with me as a kid. 

The orphanage house run by my Great Grand Uncle and his wife, in the late 1800's - that might be great great grand uncle, was beside the depository.  Like they would have been like 190 years old in the 1950's.

Apparently the train made it's rounds in the United States and is now on display back in New Glasgow, but I wouldn't trust all the information on the page..like the rail line was open waaaay after they say this train stopped running and my grand uncle's brothers all worked on the rail lines with their father the conductor. This is one of the topics I'm researching for my book stuff. 

...more information...

You see, you get started doing this and you can't stop because it is too large of a topic and this is research notes for my books...the other trains the mates to the Sampson that they reference  of the bottom of the Sampson page like the John Bull, The Stourbridge Lion and the LMR 57 those trains were sent to the United States from England and along with the Sampson were the first trains in Canada and the United States.

So when you say the Sampson and the mates to it they were in places like Pennsylvania for coal mining, those were the original trains from the 1830's in the United States when they put the rail lines in during the Old West to California before and during the American Civil War.

I don't know the actual dates my family worked on the rail lines here in Nova Scotia, I mean I don't know how old they were like the engineer could have had a younger wife from when he worked in the 1860's, that is my great great uncle and his sons or something, I'm still researching that.

So I don't know specifically how old he was when he drove the train, but they were the ones laying the tracks in Nova Scotia for the lines in the United States in the Old West.

These trains like the Sampson, led the way for the rail expansion into the Old West for the first rail lines into California.

Pretty impressive.

-END-

No comments:

Post a Comment