Wednesday, August 12, 2020

MUSIC: Heavy Metal Distributions In Canada

I get asked this, maybe people don't get the gravity of what I'm saying. 

Maybe they do.

About my earlier post about distributing Mayhem in retail stores years ago and all that, when I got my Record Deal for my CD released in 2006 Great White North Records in Montreal had their catalog listed at Sonic Unyon in Canada and The End Records in the United States on Sony RED Distribution or something. 

So when you see the name Great White North Records that was Sony RED Distribution or something and Sonic Unyon in Canada.

I own that name now and my record.

This is the gravity of that...it was printed right on the disc and went out to every heavy metal record distributor in the United States and tons of stores in Canada on Sonic Unyon.

Like this, I had just finished helping set up distribution for places like Plastic Head Distribution and Candlelight Records for their retail distributions in Canada back then.

Later, my record was coming out on the same one and back to all the retail stores on Great White North Records where Candlelight was at, Mayhem and them.

The name on the disc meant it was going out to every record store in the United States and Canada on Sony RED and them, that is a massive distribution list.

That's practically every record store in the United States and Canada who has a computer system, Sony Red or Caroline, and Sonic Unyon meaning my record was going to be available everywhere.

That is a huge record deal.

Plus I had just finished working there and was waiting for my record to hit the store shelves with Mayhem and Emperor and them.

The list went out to the United States etc, and my band was listed everywhere.

When the retail stores tried to order the albums out of the catalog list when mine came out Great White North Records didn't have the albums and closed.

Then my record got bootlegged, with Sonic Unyon and Sony Distribution printed on it.

So I got massively ripped off plus had just finished working at the retail distribution end.

I took back my record and bought their name to get my money back through band promotions and advertising.

Later BMG rights management bought The End Records my old distributor, like it has to be the biggest ripoff in the history of Death Metal Cds at the mall.

That's how big it was.

-END-

No comments:

Post a Comment